I've got this device for my Sony TRV950 ...
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/335809-REG/Beachtek_DXA2S_DXA_2S_Dual_XLR.html

The one they recommend for Canon GL1/GL2 is here ...
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/136400-REG/Beachtek_DXA4P_DXA_4P_Audio_Adapter_for.html

Switches will convert the input to mono or stereo, and have a ground
lift to reduce hum problems. There's also an 1/8" jack so you can use
existing 1/8" mics in combination with XLR (example is my interview
setup - handheld XLR on left input, 1/8" shotgun mic on right).

Try looking for any switches that relate to ground loop or ground lift
on the existing adapter, see if that fixes the nasty noise.

--
Brian Richardson
  - http://siliconchef.com