This part really bothered me:

He said that since I didn't have a NY State ID he couldn't run my
information over the radio, and he would have to take me into the
station at 145th St to check it out "in front of his peers". He then
asked me to turn around and put my hands behind my back and then he
handcuffed me.

I know for a fact that almost every police department in the United
States, especially those in medium to large cities have full access to
the NCIC system to run checks on licenses, ID's etc.

http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/tol/arts_and_entertainment/visual_arts/article3574763.ece

http://carlosmiller.com/2008/02/09/new-york-city-photographers-will-protest-sunday-against-ongoing-harassment/

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/columnist/andrewkantor/2005-12-29-camera-laws_x.htm