I love PCs and I would never give up my Windows Media Center for a Mac
but in your case I would still maybe recommend Mac.

When comparing hardware, Macs actually do come out cheaper.  If price
is a big issue, you can find a much cheaper PC notebook and you will
probably be quite satisfied with it.  XP is a great OS.  (and Vista
isn't bad, it's just not what it should have been. don't buy into
apple's FUD) Just know that you'll be dealing with a slower system if
you go the PC route.  In the case of Macs, you do get what you pay
for.