For a long time, photos could be considered the smoking gun.  If you
were told: "John is gay."  You'd probably ask around before believing
it but if you saw a photo that's all you needed.

Photos have quickly become unreliable and we've had to go back to the
tried and true method of investigative citizen journalism.  Photos
just don't cut it anymore.  You have to see more than one photo from a
different source before believing the original photo.  The same is
happening with video.  (See this Microsoft Technology Demonstration
video for a peek at what's to come:
http://research.microsoft.com/unwrap/rkrf_short.wmv)

Photos and videos are now no more trustworthy than a regular story
about a fishing trip.

It's not so much scary as predictable.  inevitable.  Until a new
method of capturing an event appears that is too difficult to
manipulate, (holographic technology?) we'll have to just check
multiple sources.  BBC, Al Jazeera, Globe and Mail, New York Times,
Blogs, Vlogs, etc

What Bill said about a photo album of a party is an excellent example
of how one source can never be enough.  Russia vs. Georgia is an
excellent example of how twisted a story can get.  You'll want to read
about it or hear about it from sources you've grown to trust.  However
It's never enough to just ask one trusted source.  Ask your best
friend Sam.  The most educated, well informed guy you know and he'll
still have a skewed view of things.  Read the BBC, a well trusted
source and you'll still only get part of the story.

Even in the time before "photoshopping" produced realistic
photographs, that photo of John couldn't alone be considered the
smoking gun because it could have been John just fooling around,
making jokes.

There's no reason to fear what technology is capable of.  It's more
about fearing, or rather, expecting what people have always been
capable of.