I'm also glad that it wasn't like the Oscars.  LA & NY people
consolidating their power.

And Chance's personal story is depressing, but really... the whole
thing reads like a Greek tragedy.  Pride before the fall.  I mean, he
*really* thought he was going to the Oscars?? And brought all his
friends and colleagues... and their children?!  WTF.

And I can't agree with the "It's terrible for the industry!" people.
It will be *good* for the profile of web video, not bad.  I've seen
enough intentionally controversial and offensive theatre in London and
Edinburgh to know that controversy drives box office success, mass
media interest and general awareness.  Even if the show itself is a
train wreck.

So - it might be bad for the reputation of Tubefilter and the
producers and the chances of getting sponsors for next year's awards -
but not bad for web TV.  More people will hear about web shows now -
in the knowledge that there was a big Awards ceremony for them.

In everything I've read, everyone's giving them a pass on the tech
problems and castigating them for the tone.  Come on.

They should be more ashamed of the tech problems than the poor taste.

I mean, they were obviously *trying* to be 'edgy'.  They got what they
wanted, like ego-crazed geek frat boys.  The whole thing reeks of not
enough women in charge.  What a surprise.

But surely the one thing that should have been *flawless* is the
technical delivery.

It's not that hard to get sound right.  You just have to hire a live
event sound engineer who knows what they're doing - and a live
broadcast mixer & director & engineer who know what they're doing (I
mean, it's LA, for God's sake).

And do rehearsals and sound checks.  And if you can't do proper
rehearsals in the venue, don't use the venue.  If they were expecting
750,000 viewers, it should have been ALL about the flawless live
streaming of the content and perfect sound, surely - not about
ohmygosh the Orpheum Theatre and the self-satisfied LA types in the
room?

And above all, given that it's about web video, it should have been
short.

Rupert
http://twittervlog.tv

On 12 Apr 2010, at 23:17, elbowsofdeath wrote:

> So I hear the Streamy's this year were a disaster in several key
> ways and have gotten all the wrong sort of attention as a result.
>
> There is some concern that it has damaged the image of the
> 'industry', although it may be easy to overstate this point. It
> certainly didnt help, but the 'industry' has enough other problems
> too, although anything that harms potential sponsorship by appearing
> to confirm potential sponsors worst fears (eg uncontrolled juvenile
> amateurish smut tarnishing their brands) sounds bad to me.
>
> Unfortunately there is a part of me that is wildly entertained and
> amused by the streamyfail, considering it to be some kind of justice
> on a certain level. This isnt fair, as no doubt lots of blameless
> hard working people have been hurt by the streamyfail, but I suppose
> its a natural consequence of my disdain for the way some of the more
> visible parts of the 'industry' went, shoddy emulation of the
> existing media. What better way to symbolise two worlds colliding,
> and so much wasted potential, than to have a slick awards show
> humbled by technical glitches and naked people.
>
> Cheers
>
> Steve Elbows

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional