> Here is an article about the developer who has looked at VP8 and found
> various problems. Hopefully the reality is not as bad as the article
> suggests, but in the rush to something free and open it would be all to easy
> to overlook or dismiss these issues, and then maybe suffer pain later:
> http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/10/05/19/x264_developer_says_googles_new_vp8_webm_codec_is_a_mess.html
> Page 2 of that article is where the depressing stuff lurks.

Interesting to read, but I would make note of the source. anyone
invested in H264 will obviously do what they can to lay down fear.
Remember when Google bought Youtube and there was all the fear of
copyright lawsuits? Google has the lawyers to figure it out.

The more important issue to research is how well WebM works. Hows it
look, how smooth is it, how well does it compress and transcode? If
Google gives developers all the resources they need, let's give people
3 months before we see some cool expeirments.

In my mind, the whole idea is to break out of the idea of "the video
in the player". What if you could use the whole page as a canvas for
your videos? Stan is right that creators need the tools to do this.

As Verdi said, http://www.mirovideoconverter.com/, is a nice free tool
to transcode to WebM for tests.

Jay

--