From: "Carlos" <car...@papertiger.org>
Sender: videoblogging@yahoogroups.com
Date: Sat, 10 Jul 2010 18:37:06
To: <videoblogging@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [videoblogging] flip vs. kodak zi8

hello,

my name is carlos pareja and i've been a long time gleaner from this tech-savvy
group. i've also been working in community media for the past dozen years or
so, primarily with public access tv in manhattan & brooklyn, ny. currently i'm
with people's production house, an organization that trains youth, low-income
workers and immigrants in radio journalism but i've been brought on to bring
video into the training program.

i'm writing to ask folks' opinions on which small flash-based video recorder
they would recommend. i've been doing a little research on the flip mino hd and
the kodak zi8 camcorders. i guess the flip is the more visible in terms of
product-marketing but a couple of things give me pause when i think about
purchasing these for our education program. first is the fact that you can't
exchange the memory card, 4gb is all you get and that you need to convert the
movie file before programs like imovie or final cut can work with the file. we
are primarily mac-based but do work with some organizations that use windows.
the kodak zi8 has the ability to swap larger sd cards so i could stick a 32gb
card and capture more video. and from what i've read online it seems that
imovie and final cut will recognize the file from the zi8 with no conversion
necessary. don't know if this is true however since i haven't tried it myself.

i guess from all this i'm leaning towards the zi8 but would love to hear what
folks on this list have to say.

and just to let people know, we plan on training young people in video and
audio journalism so they can do research, gather information and interviews for
a "cell phone literacy tool kit." we hope this will draw attention to the
closed mobile networks where there is very little government regulation and
consumer protection laws. as soon as this kit's available i'll be sure to let
this list know.

thanks for any information you can provide.

take care,
carlos