--- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, Jay dedman <jay.ded...@...> wrote:

> > Great news! Vimeo came out with a universal player for embeds.

> So what did Vimeo to allow this? Im confused why everyone (youtube.
> blip, etc) doesnt have players and codecs that work everywhere. Whats
> the secret sauce?
>
> Jay

Right now, considering the much discussed issues with what video format
different browsers are supporting in conjunction with HTML5 video tags, they
are doing what some other sites are doing, namely serving a h264 video either
wrapped in flash or not, depending on the browser. You can certainly encode a
h264 file with certain settings and have it play on most devices, although some
services may choose to encode multiple different versions for certain mobile
devices, high def etc. Either way most of the magic is in having the embedded
code for their videos look at your browsers capabilities, and then decide
whether to embed a flash player or use a native browser/html5 method.

As to why not all of the video sites are doing this yet, it will either be
because they havent had the engineering resources to do it yet, or they have
been waiting to see what happens with the likes of WebM (although thats not a
great reason to delay this stuff especially as things like the iPad have sold
quite well), or they havent seen that much demand/have had higher priorities,
or their existing flash player offers features that they cant do in html5 yet
and they dont feel they should offer a player with less features. The last
point has extra weight if they are struggling to get their advert platform
working with a non-flash player, as they wont be to keen to lose revenue
generation. I expect most sites will get there eventually.

Cheers

Steve