Its a shame Im drifting dangerously away from the topic of this group, and have
a history of posting too much about too few subjects, because Im enjoying this
discussion, but better make this my last post on the subject.

In theory there are a variety of aspects of the U.S system of government that
are superior to the system here. The way your system is written down, in theory
you have much better separation between the different branches of government.
Here we dont have proper separation between the judicial arm, the executive has
progressivly taken power away from the parliament, and one of our chambers isnt
even elected. So Im not the sort of European that finds it easy to take cheap
shots at the US of A.

In practice however, the system is subject to the usual powerful human
influences which are always looking to erode the safeguards, with mixed
results. It is said that every generation has to fight to retain its previously
hard won freedoms, and maybe even win some new ones. In some senses and in many
places round the world, this battle seems to have been somewhat lost in recent
times, perhaps because we've appeared to have the luxury of not needing to pay
as much attention, or the game seems to heavily stacked against us to bother
fighting. All sorts of horror can result from such complacency or sense of
powerlessness and defeat. So I dont want to discourage people fighting for
stuff they believe is important. I was merely musing on some of the reasons why
I dont think this particular issue is that all that much of a threat unless we
happen to end up in a world which will be horrific in many other more dramatic
ways.  I could more easily imagine a time when the net still exists, but people
become more afraid of the consequences of saying certain things on it, than I
can imagine them just switching it off completely for reasons that dont pass
the smell test.Time will tell eh, hope you get a better law than that currently
proposed, but am personally cynical as to whether it will be enough to save you
if the times of real strife arrive.

As for WMD, its a shame that the US has massive double standards when it comes
to sovereignty and the law for them as compared to the rest of the world. USA
uses its might to get other countries to sign up to things that are not
reciprocated, eg extradition treaties, and its attitude towards international
law is little better than using them as justification for starting wars when it
suits, but not to feel bound by these international laws itself when it doesnt
want to be.

Cheers

Steve
--- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, Mark Villaseñor <videoblogyahoogr...@...>