Hey, i saw this article from the New Paper (S'pore) on her recent
stint on the Superstar Virgo Cruise. I've attached the webpage cos the
actual webpage is updated daily, so some of u might not have the
chance to see it. Enjoy!

Kelly
Title: The Electric New Paper

NOT THE SAME: Forget the image of a 17-year-old Vanessa playing a violin in a wet, white dress, thigh-deep in the sea. That was 1995 (right). Vanessa is now a grown woman (above). Pic/ KENNETH KOH

M1

Lolita of the violin no more

BY EDWIN YEO
Aug 31, 1999

IT should have been obvious right from the moment Vanessa Mae walked into the press conference last Friday on board the Superstar Virgo.

But deeply entrenched in the mind is the image of a 17-year-old playing a violin in a wet, white dress, thigh-deep in the sea, back in 1995.

That, of course, was the well-known picture on her first pop/classical single, Bach's Toccata and Fugue.

ALL GROWN UP

So, it didn't help that she was again in a white outfit, and at sea.

Yet, with a flick of her short hair and a sunny smile, she made us remember that this was the woman whose signature tunes make up the ringing tones of many handphones today.

Having met her in 1995, it should have been even more obvious to me that Vanessa has grown.

Now 21, she is no longer the apprehensive teenager who needed to take a moment before answering her questions.

"I'm happy to answer any questions you have," said the Singapore-born violinist cheerfully as photographers snapped away.

Noticing that they were blocking the line of sight between her and the reporters, she stopped answering a question halfway and politely asked us to allow the photographers to finish their picture-taking first.

After that, she promptly completed the answer she had left dangling, without missing a beat.

She was in Singapore to perform on the Superstar Virgo for its maiden voyage from Singapore.

Asked if the auditorium was good enough for a Vanessa Mae concert, she smiled yet again.

"You know, I haven't actually been to the auditorium yet. I will tonight, so I can't comment on it at the moment. But I like to play at different venues. Times Square, cruise ships...

"I have performed on cruise ships before, although not one of this size. It's never been a problem," she said.

A media-savvy answer that, perhaps, finally swept away, for me at least, the image of her as the Lolita of the violin.

THAI CITIZEN?

BORN of a Thai father and Singaporean mother, Vanessa, who holds British citizenship, is seeking Thai citizenship.

"I still don't know the status of that. I applied because I thought it's the natural thing to do. I have a Thai father and a Thai passport, so it would be nice if I had Thai citizenship as well," she said.

There were also reports that she was doing this in the hope of representing Thailand in the 2002 Winter Olympics in the skiing competition.

She laughed at this suggestion.

"Yes, it would be nice if I could. Just for fun. I have been skiing since I was five but I'm not a professional skier," she said.

The Electric New Paper. Copyright © 1999
Singapore Press Holdings. All Rights Reserved.