At 04:58 PM 9/29/2009, Jed Rothwell wrote:
Abd ul-Rahman Lomax wrote:

I'll bet if you contacted those people today (the ones still alive), you would find they have not learned a thing about cold fusion and they would not change a word of their endorsements.

Unless you could approach them in a way likely to generate rapport, and discuss the issues in detail, perhaps following the approach of someone you love to hate, Hoffmann. It's not impossible, but, yes, it can be very difficult.

Difficult or easy, why would I bother? I don't care what these nudniks think. They sure don't care what I think!

If, Jed, if. I didn't say you should do it.

As Mike McKubre says, "I wouldn't cross the street to hear a lecture by Frank Close."

I might, but not if I had to pay, and not if I had to do much more than cross the street. And I'd bring a good book. Maybe the ACS LENR Sourcebook. On the other hand, I've never read Close. Have I missed anything?

I have nothing in common with the extreme skeptics and the Avowed Enemies of Cold Fusion. No meeting of the minds is possible between us. I never communicate with them unless there is an audience and I wish to score points. Discussing the issues with them is a futile waste of time.

Unless certain conditions arose. I don't advise holding your breath waiting for them, and I'm sure you don't need this advice. Or lack of advice, now, that was a weird construction, wasn't it?

Needless to say, they think the same thing about me, as they have often said. Here is one that said that about me yesterday:

http://evildrpain.blogspot.com/2009/09/freedom.html

Supposed scientist uses pseudonym of Evil Dr. Pain. You hang out with strange people, Jed. Sounds like Wikipedia.

Here is the "heated discussion" linked to in the blog:

http://missatomicbomb.blogspot.com/2008/06/gullible-part-2.html

Yeah, Jed, I've watched what you do, it turns up in searches for various topics of interest. I've done my share of advocacy responses to blogs, and, I must say, I've always found your comments quite civil and to the point. So this is the blog of Miss Atomic Bomb a.k.a. Nuclear Kelly. I'm always amused by the half-knowledge of some of these physics bloggers, who raise the most obvious questions not only as if nobody thought of those questions before, but, of course, there isn't any answer. Like, How Come the experiments can't be replicated? How Come the effect disappears if you use more accurate instrumentation? How Come there isn't any nuclear ash? How Come I ask all these questions without actually reading anything about the topic, and when someone like Jed Rothwell comes along and lays it out for me, I retreat further into my shell of contempt? Huh? How Come?

I'd venture a guess that I was studying nuclear physics sometime around when Nuclear Kelly's parents were born. She treats Julian Schwinger as "not a nuclear physicist"? Hello? She imagines that those who work in the field of cold fusion are totally ignorant of the Coulomb barrier. Reminds me of a 12-year-old who once "corrected" my Arabic pronunciation. He'd learned a rule that *usually* applied, but not in the case involved. And when I told him about it, he flat refused to believe me. After all, I was only four times his age, why should he pay attention to me, when he *knew* I was wrong. Bright kid, actually, too accustomed to being right around adults who didn't know what they were talking about....

Her comment, "The fact that they call it "low energy nuclear reactions" actually sickens me," reveals a great deal. That's emotional attachment, taking offense at what destabilizes her world view, her sense of herself. It was quite impossible for her to read what you wrote rationally. Could you read if every word made you nauseous?

She's right, of course, it is not what she knows of as "nuclear fusion." It's something else, but it is, I can say with certainty, low energy nuclear reactions. The idea that such reactions are impossible is preposterous, examples are known, and all that happened is that a new one was found, an unexpected one, to be sure. Her ad hoc numerical analysis was way off, and she neglected quite a number of important factors. Deuterium in a palladium lattice doesn't just sit at random locations, not when the lattice is at high saturation. What happens when local concentration exceeds 1:1 is interesting, and what happens when there is, near the surface, a population with some level of molecular deuterium may be of the highest interest. Takahashi -- a nuclear physicist, isn't he -- did his own calculations: what happens if somehow, it doesn't have to be for long at all, a femtosecond is enough, two deuterium molecules occupy the same cubic cell in the lattice? Takahashi's calculations describe what appears to be a Bose-Einstein collapse and fusion, predicted using quantum field theory, which appears to be totally beyond Miss Nuclear Kelly. Is this what happens? Maybe, maybe not, but the point is that back-of-the-envelope calculations are only as good as the assumptions on which they are based, and she poured in a whole series of assumptions that probably don't hold.

What happens when four deuterons are confined in a cubic cell? That's unstable, it will put more pressure on the lattice bonds than they can sustain, but meanwhile .... a non-quantum or semi-quantum understanding of it could be that, as with the Oppenheimer-Phillips process, the deuterons assume polarized positions, and they can then approach each other more closely, since the neutrons are to the inside of the tetrahedron which is the most efficient packing arrangement. If those neutrons approach closely enough for the nuclear binding force to take over, they will be pulled together. That could be enough to overcome the Coulomb barrier. Not with two deuterons, probably not with three, but with four....

The half-educated young woman is suffering from a poverty of imagination. Obviously, she's not alone in that, but her position is a losing one. It's like continuing to believe that sustained heavier-than-air flight is impossible after you've seen the reports from Kitty Hawk and some confirmations.

My eight-year-old daughter got it right. I was explaining to her what I've been up to, and told her about Fleischmann and Pons, who had discovered this unexpected effect. Then, I told her, other people tried to find it, to see if it was real, and they failed, and believed that they'd been fooled, their time had been wasted. She piped up, "Daddy, they just didn't try hard enough! If it didn't work the first time, they should have tried again! They should have talked to the people who had done it!"

You were dealing with practically a religious belief, with much the same reasons for tenacious clinging. I see that you said that. Ah, Jed, did you imagine that she would immediately, when you told her she was practicing a form of holy-book based religion, she would immediately say, "Why, I never realized that! Thanks for reminding me!"

That wasn't exactly civil, to be sure, but you were right, which is some small amelioration. In response, she defended her use of "back of the envelope calculations" as providing evidence of whether "something is physically feasible or not." She totally failed to respond to your argument. She then explained the obvious, that what happens in cold fusion experiments doesn't behave like ordinary d-d fusion. You hadn't said that it did, you had simply pointed out an experimental fact: that the heat correlates with the heat expected from d-d fusion. That would indicate, as a simply hypothesis, that the process inputs deuterium and outputs helium, at least mostly. But there may be more than one way to do that, and that's what Takahashi's theory is about. But Nuclear Kelly gets all confused by Chubb's theory, and passes over what has been experimentally confirmed: heat/helium correlation. It's as if you didn't say it.

(I think the heat transfer to the lattice theory is weak, but ... until we have really good predictive theory, confirmed and accepted, it can't be said what's happening at the nuclear level. All we know is that heat and helium are correlated, there is radiation, and some other experimental phenomena. She really fails to understand the complexity of the phenomenon. There is not just one reaction taking place in the lattice, there are secondary reactions, etc. Her objection to lattice-energy transfer is a reasonable one, but, again, she's concerned with theory, and she doesn't place nearly enough weight on confirmed experimental evidence, she's trying to fit the evidence into the theories instead of the reverse.

She made the obvious rebuttal to you, practically with an Aha! Got you! I.e., if nobody understands it, how can you call it fusion? Of course, she has a point. But she missed something. The ash. Helium is being formed, with the same heat of formation as is found with fusion. Where there was no helium, there is now helium. Where did it come from? Sure, it might be formed by fission. Maybe the deuterium is a catalyst, not the palladium! But to propose that helium is being formed without *nuclear reactions* is so far outside of scientific understanding that it makes the fusion hypothesis look like a proven fact. That is, she has a point, but she misapplies it and uses it to reject the entire approach instead of recognizing the limits of our ignorance. We are not ignorant of *everything* about these reactions!

As you know, there are reactions that involve neutron absorption that aren't usually called "fusion," but, to me, this is only a matter of common names of things....

You responded with much the same argument as I suggested here (I'm reading as I'm writing, so I don't know what you are going to say next!) You mention that the process inputs deuterium. Actually, that's not known, because such a tiny amount of deuterium would be consumed that the loss of deuterium can't be measured, at least not in the experiments I know. We *theorize* that deuterium is the fuel, but that's only the most likely suspect. What we know is the ash, or at least one of the ashes.

She responds with, "I'm tired of this. Is it a proven science or is it not? Does it require explanation or does it not? How does "one good experiment" overrule the sum of mankind's collected scientific knowledge, most of which is (imagine that) experimental?

She wants nice neat black and white answers that don't upset her emotional stability. She refuses to interpret what you say in such a way as to allow it to have meaning, instead she imputs preposterous meaning to it, which she can then comfortably reject. "One good experiment" is not just any experiment, it refers to a reproducible experiment with clear implications, falsifying existing theory. Experiments don't contradict each other, we consider the sum of them. Two apparently contradictory experiments only so appear if one is applying theories to them, to make predictions from one about what will happen with another. But no two experiments are exactly the same, and unexpected results point to unknown phenomena or mechanisms. Relativistic physics did not contradict centuries of classical physics, it merely revealed it as an approximation applying under certain common conditions.

She's totally confused, and taking it all personally.

"Doesn't that mean the thousands of good experiments which indicate it's not feasible should be given sway? Yes or no?" There is a linguistic trick here. What is "it"? Thousands of experiments, millions of experiments, showed ways to not see fusion. So? That has no bearing at all on whether or not there exists a way. Absolutely, Miss Nculear Kelly need not be expected to run down and find a way to invest in cold fusion. If theory makes it seem impossible, it might be sensible to not pour a lot of effort into it. But when real life comes and bops you on the nose, it's silly to say, "Nothing happened, it's impossible for anything to bop me on the nose, and it's never happened before, so it must not have happened this time. Bop! Or this time, either."

Nobody saw cold fusion because nobody was looking for it, for the reasons that Ms. Nuclear knows too well. Mizuno, who happened to be working wtih palladium deuteride, apparently saw it twice, and didn't realize it until later. I think there have been other such reports.

Aw, did you really have to say that she looked like an "intelligent design supporter." Sometimes, Jed....

But, of course, I understand your point.

This person thinks that he won the debate, and that:

She, apparently. Ms. Nuclear Kelly, Miss Atomic Bomb. Remember, she made the point about being a woman in science. Gratuitious, actually.

"This debate, of course, turned out to be an utterly pointless exercise, as the advocate descended predictably into nonsensical argument, and what amounted to name calling, in order to defend his position."

From my point of view, I made mincemeat out of him, and I never engaged in any name calling. I believe this is cognitive dissonance on his part. Mainly it was a discussion of matters of fact, not even technical matters. For example, he claimed that no nuclear scientists have worked on cold fusion, so I gave him a long list of distinguished nuclear scientists who have. He claimed that no replications have been done, so I gave him a list of replications. And so on.

By the way, I would never claim that I won the debate by virtue of superior intellect or legerdemain. Any fool who bothers to read the literature can easily win this sort of debate.

You didn't "win" the debate unless there is some accepted definition of win. You certainly made mincemeat of her argument, in my view. I'd say you won, but, hey, I'm biased.

She came up with some interesting ideas as "not fusion." Most of them were either inconsistent with the experiments or were other nuclear reactions .... She had a point, which is a fairly standard one, that it might not be "fusion." But it's a weak point, and was being used by her, apparently, to justify a position of entrenched ignorance.

She wrote:

This is the bulk of my entire argument - there are any number of things it might be, and the list of possible explanations (other than nuclear fusion) has certainly not been exhausted. Perhaps the introduction of interstitial deuterium displaces interstitial helium which was present in the palladium crystal lattice at formation or during transport.

Obvious hypothesis, but it would need modification. She has the driving factor as being displacement from deuterium, but the correlation isn't simply with the introduction of deuterium, it is with excess heat. Heat might drive out helium, but why would helium levels rise above ambient, as they do, does palladium act like a helium sponge? No, I don't think so, it does that with hydrogen and deuterium. And the Q value is utterly unexplained by this, and so is the radiation that is now well-known, probably alpha radiation, plus those pesky neutrons.

Does a palladium sample produced and stored within a vacuum chamber yield the same results?

They do that with the palladium, if I'm correct, that is, they heat it to drive out helium....
Produced in a vacuum chamber? From what? Transmutation?

Perhaps it is a weak interaction (weak = involving the electroweak force), wherein a proton from the deuterium and free electron from the palladium react to form a neutron (and an antineutrino), as occurs within a nucleus during beta-decay. Are antineutrinos produced?

Not so easy to detect, eh? Nuclear reaction she just proposed, with no particular reason. Does this explain helium? She didn't say how.

Perhaps the affinity of the palladium is great enough that the Coulomb barrier of the two deuterium nuclei is screened, and they interact chemically within the crystal lattice to produce an abnormal (ie, unexpected) deuterium molecule and release energy.

She's confused. There may be electronic screening, that, in fact, may be a factor in Tetrahedral Symmetric Condensate collapse. But if you are starting with deuterium, what is this "abnormal deuterium molecule." She pulled this one out of a hat. She's trying to show that she can think outside the box, I suspect.

Could the detection of a new configuration of deuterium molecule be mistaken for helium in the setup?

I think that possible confusion is well understood by the experts in mass spectrometry. Deuterium molecules are obviously present. The absorption of deuterium gas (molecular form) by palladium is exothermic; the release of deuterium gas must then be endothermic, not exothermic as she claims.

Perhaps on the timescales of the electrical pulses used for D-Pd electrolysis, the electronic structure of palladium is such that an atomic resonance is hit and the current is discharged into the medium in a different manner than the heat-transfer models used surmise, causing "excess" heat.

She's trying to explain excess heat without considering the helium. She's missed the point. The most likely non-fusion theory is one that is even more revolutionary than fusion theory: hydrino theory.

Is the result repeatable, and with predictable dependence, with different electrolysis techniques?

Depends on what you mean by predictable. The heat-helium correlation cuts through the problem. But, yes, the effect is observed with different techniques, including the non-electrolytical Arata technique that she started with.

Perhaps the deuterium and palladium themselves are reacting (cold-welding, in a sense) and releasing energy.

She doesn't realize that there is a known heat of formation of palladium hydride. Yes, it releases energy, but not in the manner and in the quantities seen. Arata's work actually shows both effects, the big heat burst at the beginning is hydride formation, and it happens with hydrogen. With deuterium, there is more heat generated, which is a bit suspicious, but, after all, the chemical behavior of deuterium is different from that of hydrogen, so that extra heat doesn't known my socks off. What does leave me barefoot is that the cell doesn't settle quickly to ambient temperature, but remains at steady heat generation for 3000 minutes, showing no sign of slowing down.

Is the palladium sample examined at the end of the experiment for other possible "reaction" products?

Yes. Transmuted elements are found. There is not just one reaction happening. That was one fact that greatly confused the field for years.

Perhaps, as helium diffuses so readily through anything (hence its use as a leak detector), the measured helium during the experiments could come from anywhere.

Sure. But it doesn't behave like that, and this wouldn't explain correlation with excess heat. The helium level rises with the measured excess heat, and doesn't slow down as it approaches ambient levels, as it would if it were from leakage. And it keeps going up, beyond ambient.

 Are the results reproducible in a pressurized argon or nitrogen atmosphere?

There are a million questions one could ask. Each one takes time and money to answer. Perhaps she would care to send a donation?

Perhaps, because of palladium's unique chemical behavior with regard to hydrogen isotopes, the palladium crystal lattice is actually disturbed or altered by the deuterium, such that much of it is not actually interstitial. Is the palladium crystal examined for damage after the experiment?

She really made no effort to read the literature, and it shows. Yeah, the palladium environment is heavily trashed. So?

The discussion went on way too long, and so did my review of it here....