Abd ul-Rahman Lomax wrote:

Shall we notice that the level of abstraction involved in judging what is possible with condensed matter nuclear reactions is a bit different than that involved in judging flying to the moon by arm-flapping?

Not according to Huizenga and other skeptics. They have never cited that particular example as far as I know, but I expect if you ask one he will tell you that is roughly the level of impossibility. He will say something like: "No, the level of abstraction isn't a bit different. We know how the laws of physics work, and there is no chance whatever that aneutronic deuterium fusion can exist. That is as certain as the law of gravity."

I must emphasize that is what these people sincerely believe. They are not being cynical or faking it. It isn't as if they harbor secret doubts and they think there is a slight possibility that cold fusion might be real after all. That is my impression, anyway, but go ahead and ask a skeptic. You cannot understand Huizenga's book unless you realize this is what he believes. Do not assume that he thinks levels of abstraction may be different for high energy physics versus Newton's law of gravity. They are equally well established in his mind, and both are final and indisputable.

The "I know, so shut up" argument will lose in a public debate. Therefore these people will avoid public debate, unless they can control the terms. . . .

If they get caught in a debate, say an on-line one, when it starts to go badly, they will announce that they don't have time for this crap, they aren't going to waste any more effort arguing with idiots.

Actually, Huizenga never evaded debate or said "shut up." He is polite. On the radio and elsewhere he was willing to reiterate the points made in his book as often as anyone asks. You might say: "but he never came up with any fresh arguments!" However, from his point of view, McKubre or Storms (with whom he debated) never came up with any fresh rebuttals either. They kept repeating that experiments overrule theory. Since he never bought that argument, from his point of view, he won the debate.

That's true of Park and the other well-known skeptics. Ask them! They are not shy about expressing their views. They remain firmly convinced that all the experiments are wrong, and -- they tell me -- it makes no difference if there are a dozen replications, 100, or 1,000. If there are 1,000 that only proves that there are at least 1,000 incompetent or fraudulent scientists in the world. Park seems perfectly willing to believe that, and unsurprised by it.

My rebuttal argument is that the experimental method is fundamentally sound. I spell out the reasons based on biology and sociology. People are evolved to be sane, honest and healthy most of the time. Society would not have survived otherwise. (Of course, some societies don't survive.) The likelihood of 1,000 randomly selected scientists being mistaken or fraudulent over 5 years is roughly similar to the likelihood that 1,000 randomly selected professional airline pilots will crash in a 5 year period, or 1,000 bankers will abscond with the money. The actual rate of error or malevolence is far lower. If that were not so, we would not have research labs, airlines or banks.

I doubt that Park has ever considered this argument. I imagine he would say the 1,000 scientists who replicated cold fusion are not randomly selected, but instead they are a self-selecting group of people prone to incompetence and fraud. That is highly unlikely from a statistical or sociological point of view. As it happens I know many of these people's CVs, I know that is factually wrong.

By the way, the actual number of cold fusion scientists is closer 2,000 or 3,000 than 1,000. I cannot easily count them, but there are 4,800 authors in my EndNote database. Huizenga, Park and other skeptics are listed, but there are surprisingly few published skeptics.