Same report, cleansed of Rossi's references, for purposes of publication
elsewhere.

There has been steady progress in the world of Low Energy Nuclear Reactions
(LENR), better known as Cold Fusion, in the last few months. The main
commercial players have been quiet  but the open-source Martin Fleishmann
Memorial Project <http://www.quantumheat.org/index.php/home> (MFMP) has
made some big steps towards its goal of proving the reality of LENR to a
skeptical world.

Bob
Greenyer<http://www.quantumheat.org/index.php/facilitators/32-bob-greenyer>is
one of the driving forces behind the MFMP. He's a successful
entrepreneur, having run a diverse portfolio of businesses in the fields of
pharmaceuticals, finance, advertising and education. But now he's in a
business that costing him money rather than making it, and he loves it.
Like the other MFMP team members, he has put in a lot of his own time and
money because he believes in the cause.

 MFMP has no interest in intellectual property, says Greenyer. It wants to
share it with the world.

One of the MFMP's first aims is a cheap, simple apparatus that can be
easily replicated and which shows that "new fire" (as MFMP terms the
reaction) produces energy. It aims to do this as transparently as possible,
in an exercise in crowd-sourced engineering. Greenyer calls it "science by
the people for the people." He has seen the disruptive effects of big egos
elsewhere in LENR research and wants to avoid the destructive patterns of
rivalry and secrecy which can result.

"We will work with anyone, whether they are a barrow boy or a nuclear
physicist," says Greenyer.

In contrast to normal practice where everything is behind closed doors
until a paper is published, with the MFMP it's right out in the open.
Experimental protocols and detailed results are published day by day on the
Replicate section of its website <http://www.quantumheat.org/>. The only
thing that does remain secret is the identity of some of their
collaborators, as any association with cold fusion could damage the
reputation of most scientists.

Greenyer says this open approach has been very successful because it has
identified possible flaws in the experimental procedure and allows his team
to identify potential criticisms of its setup. This means it should be able
to come up with a "foolproof" demonstration by the end of the process.

The MFMP's experiments are based on the work of Italian physicist Francesco
Celani, who has made the details of his research available to the group.
Celani has given several successful demonstrations over the past year, and
his work has beenreplicated by third
parties<http://www.e-catworld.com/2012/12/celani-announces-3rd-party-replication/>.

The apparatus consists of a nanostructured nickel wire weighing 275 mg
"loaded" with hydrogen. The wire produces roughly four watts extra of
excess heat in addition to the fifteen watts supplied. This continues for
many hours, showing that far more energy is produced than could be
accounted for by a chemical reaction. The challenge is of course in the
detail of the setup and ensuring that there is no possible source of error.

Four watts from a small length of wire represents a high energy density,
 But why not crank it up and produce more power to make it that much more
obvious? Greenyer says that this would be possible, but the team needs to
understand more before it can be done safely. There have been explosions
and injuries in LENR labs before now, and a well-designed experiment should
be able to provide proof of "new fire" at the power levels they have.

Greenyer notes that the MFMP is well behind where some of the competitors
claim to be. But he believes that the advantage of its setup is that it
cannot simply be bought out by hostile interests. In addition, its progress
may force other researchers into the open if they want to be seen to be
ahead.

"It doesn't matter if we prove it, or if we force others to," says
Greenyer. "What's important is that this gets recognition."

The next few weeks will see some improved experimental approaches that will
provide better figures and eradicate possible sources of error. An
elaborate protocol will see live and inert wires tested side by side, with
the same tests being carried out inmultiple
laboratories<http://www.quantumheat.org/index.php/follow/follow-2/206-tgoc>.

The live and inert wires are the same except for the nanostructure in which
the reaction occurs. While this may not be the final configuration, if the
results continue as they have done it's getting pretty close to a setup
that produces measurable amounts of excess heat reliably and repeatably --
what cold fusion researchers have been trying to achieve for 20 years.

The next stage for MFMP is to raise funds to demonstrate the technology to
the world, using Kickstarter. Greenyer says that one experiment would cost
around £50k, if it raises £150k it can set up three independent
replications in different countries, £350k would be enough for ten
replications worldwide. (Anyone donating £5k will get a working copy of the
Celani reactor themselves). It is, as Greenyer points out, a tiny sum
compared to the 16 billion euro cost of the ITER hot fusion reactor, itself
a just demonstrator and only expected to achieve its first reaction in
seven years' time.
 Most of the excitement now centres around  third-party reports, the
long-awaited independent validation of recent work which was first
mentioned last October. The results of this were in some doubt when the
un-named third party insisted on further tests, but on 25 March
...<http://www.journal-of-nuclear-physics.com/?p=791>
*THE TESTS OF THE THIRD INDIPENDENT PARTY HAVE BEEN COMPLETED YESTERDAY.  * If
positive results really are published by a reputable third party, you might
be hearing a lot more about this in the mainstream media very soon. .

These two approaches represent the two poles of research, open and closed.
While a secretive approach might make a person a billionaire (assuming he
has what he says), it makes him vulnerable to negative reports. Greenyer is
not going to make money out of the MFMP even if it works exactly as
planned. But if it does pave the way to abundant, cheap, CO2-neutral power,
it could make the rest of the world very rich indeed.