On 4/23/24 5:41 PM, Sebastian Wick wrote:
> Personally I would say we could give it a go, but I don't believe that
> this will significantly change how long some protocols take to get
> merged. The group transaction is taking so long because the subsurface
> sync and desync modes together with content update queues are hard to
> get right and the protocol makes everything much worse. The color
> management protocol took so long because it evolved with our
> understanding of color and colorimetry which changed significantly
> over the years. Some protocols are just stuck because stakeholders
> can't agree and most of the time the problem is just time and
> priorities.

I definitely understand that some problems are hard and require thorough effort
to iterate through. Like I outlined earlier it's also a non-goal to rush
protocols out the door: if things need time then we should spend time and get it
right. Although some of the stuck situations come from a legitimate need for
more time to properly validate a solution, I think there's a lot of situations
where it's easy to go off thinking and accidentally never return to the
discussion table in a timely manner. Having habitual meetings gives us some
protections against accidentally letting months go by without making progress.

I also agree that it's worth a try, and we can see if the community finds it
useful and go from there. I think the odds are good these can be productive and
it seems like a valuable investment as Wayland becomes more popular.

Thanks,
        Austin