Recently members of the JavaScript community at Intel and Mozilla have
suggested <http://www.2ality.com/2013/12/simd-js.html> adding SIMD types to the
JavaScript language. In this email would like to share my thoughts about this
proposal and to start a technical discussion about SIMD.js support in Webkit. I
BCCed some of the authors of the proposal to allow them to participate in this
discussion.

Modern processors feature SIMD (Single Instruction Multiple Data)
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SIMD> instructions, which perform the same
arithmetic operation on a vector of elements. SIMD instructions are used to
accelerate compute intensive code, like image processing algorithms, because
the same calculation is applied to every pixel in the image. A single SIMD
instruction can process 4 or 8 pixels at the same time. Compilers try to make
use of SIMD instructions in an optimization that is called vectorization.

The SIMD.js API <http://wiki.ecmascript.org/doku.php?id=strawman:simd_number>
adds new types, such as float32x4, and operators that map to vector
instructions on most processors. The idea behind the proposal is that manual
use of vector instructions, just like intrinsics in C, will allow developers to
accelerate common compute-intensive JavaScript applications. The idea of using
SIMD instructions to accelerate JavaScript code is compelling because high
performance applications in JavaScript are becoming very popular.

Before I became involved with JavaScript through my work on the FTL project
<https://www.webkit.org/blog/3362/introducing-the-webkit-ftl-jit/>, I developed
the LLVM vectorizer <http://llvm.org/docs/Vectorizers.html> and worked on a
vectorizing compiler for a data-parallel programming language. Based on my
experience with vectorization, I believe that the current proposal to include
SIMD types in the JavaScript language is not the right approach to utilize SIMD
instructions. In this email I argue that vector types should not be added to
the JavaScript language.

Vector instruction sets are sparse, asymmetrical, and vary in size and features
from one generation to another. For example, some Intel processors feature
512-bit wide vector instructions
<https://software.intel.com/en-us/blogs/2013/avx-512-instructions>. This means
that they can process 16 floating point numbers with one instruction. However,
today’s high-end ARM processors feature 128-bit wide vector instructions
<http://www.arm.com/products/processors/technologies/neon.php> and can only
process 4 floating point elements. ARM processors support byte-sized blend
instructions but only recent Intel processors added support for byte-sized
blends. ARM processors support variable shifts but only Intel processors with
AVX2 support variable shifts. Different generations of Intel processors support
different instruction sets with different features such as broadcasting from a
local register, 16-bit and 64-bit arithmetic, and varied shuffles. Modern
processors even feature predicated arithmetic and scatter/gather instructions
that are very difficult to model using target independent high-level
intrinsics.
The designers of the high-level target independent API should decide if they
want to support the union of all vector instruction sets, or the intersection.
A subset of the vector instructions that represent the intersection of all
popular instruction sets is not useable for writing non-trivial vector
programs. And the superset of the vector instructions will cause huge
performance regressions on platforms that do not support the used instructions.

Code that uses SIMD.js is not performance-portable. Modern vectorizing
compilers feature complex cost models and heuristics for deciding when to
vectorize, at which vector width, and how many loop iterations to interleave.
The cost models takes into account the features of the vector instruction set,
properties of the architecture such as the number of vector registers, and
properties of the current processor generation. Making a poor selection
decision on any of the vectorization parameters can result in a major
performance regression. Executing vector intrinsics on processors that don’t
support them is slower than executing multiple scalar instructions because the
compiler can’t always generate efficient with the same semantics.
I don’t believe that it is possible to write non-trivial vector code that will
show performance gains on processors from different families. Executing vector
code with insufficient hardware support will cause major performance
regressions. One of the motivations for SIMD.js was to allow Emscripten
<https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Mozilla/Projects/Emscripten> to
vectorize C code and to emit JavaScript SIMD intrinsics. One problem with this
suggestion is that the Emscripten compiler should not be assuming that the
target is an x86 machine and that a specific vector width and interleave width
is the right answer. Targeting a specific processor will surely cause
regressions on other processors.

SIMD.js does not make good use of modern vector instruction sets. Modern vector
processors feature large vectors (up to 512-bit), predication of arithmetic and
memory operations, scatter/gather memory operations, advance shuffles and
broadcasts and other features that make vectorization efficient. The current
SIMD.js proposal is limited to a small number of arithmetic operations on
128-bit vector data types.

So far, I’ve explained why I believe SIMD.js will not be performance-portable
and why it will not utilize modern instruction sets, but I have not made a
suggestion on how to use vector instructions to accelerate JavaScript programs.
Vectorization, like instruction scheduling and register allocation, is a
code-generation problem. In order to solve these problems, it is necessary for
the compiler to have intimate knowledge of the architecture. Forcing the
compiler to use a specific instruction or a specific data-type is the wrong
answer. We can learn a lesson from the design of compilers for data-parallel
languages. GPU programs (shaders and compute languages, such as OpenCL and
GLSL) are written using vector instructions because the domain of the problem
requires vectors (colors and coordinates). One of the first thing that
data-parallel compilers do is to break vector instructions into scalars (this
process is called scalarization). After getting rid of the vectors that
resulted from the problem domain, the compiler may begin to analyze the
program, calculate profitability, and make use of the available instruction
set.

I believe that it is the responsibility of JIT compilers to use vector
instructions. In the implementation of the Webkit’s FTL JIT compiler, we took
one step in the direction of using vector instructions. LLVM already vectorizes
some code sequences during instruction selection, and we started investigating
the use of LLVM’s Loop and SLP vectorizers. We found that despite nice
performance gains on a number of workloads, we experienced some performance
regressions on Intel’s Sandybridge processors, which is currently a very
popular desktop processor. JavaScript code contains many branches (due to
dynamic speculation). Unfortunately, branches on Sandybridge execute on Port5,
which is also where many vector instructions are executed. So, pressure on
Port5 prevented performance gains. The LLVM vectorizer currently does not model
execution port pressure and we had to disable vectorization in FTL. In the
future, we intend to enable more vectorization features in FTL.

To summarize, SIMD.js will not provide a portable performance solution because
vector instruction sets are sparse and vary between architectures and
generations. Emscripten should not generate vector instructions because it
can’t model the target machine. SIMD.js will not make use of modern SIMD
features such as predication or scatter/gather. Vectorization is a compiler
code generation problem that should be solved by JIT compilers, and not by the
language itself. JIT compilers should continue to evolve and to start
vectorizing code like modern compilers.

Thanks,
Nadav