Alexey Feldgendler wrote:
On Thu, 26 Jan 2006 21:09:44 +0600, Anne van Kesteren <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
<em> has never been defined in a way that it could give entire paragraphs emphasis. I'm not really saying anything is wrong about it, just that has never been defined. Also, <em> was defined to be inline-level (nothing to do with presentation) in HTML4 which means that it could not contain block-level (again, apart from presentation) elements so parsers did funny things on error recovery.

This confirms the point that the classification of elements into block-level and inline-level is just a convention not backed by a semantic requirement.

The debate about the block vs. inline distinction is, unfortunately, not quite so simple. It's been discussed a few times on www-html in the past. I wrote a fairly good overview of the arguments in December 2003 [1] and then the issue came up again in July 2004 [2]

[1] http://www.w3.org/mid/[EMAIL PROTECTED]
[2] http://www.w3.org/mid/[EMAIL PROTECTED]

--
Lachlan Hunt