Douglas Crockford wrote:
If application/json isn't acceptable (though I don't know why it wouldn't be), then try a hyphen instead: application/json-request

The issue is to provide a way of identifying JSONRequest transactions that cannot be confused with legacy applications.

To me, this just feels like misuse of the MIME type. It should describe the content type of the message body, not the protocol/method used to access it. Maybe a parameter could be used instead.

i.e.  application/json;param=value

Though, as I'm still not exactly sure what the new MIME type idea is supposed to express, I've got no idea what the parameter could be called.

--
Lachlan Hunt
http://lachy.id.au/