Matthew Raymond wrote:
   Here's a thought:

|   <grouplabel for="gender">Gender:</grouplabel>

   The element <grouplabel> gives the label for the group.

That's similar to the <label group=""> idea I posted.

The |for| attribute in this case takes a name rather than and ID,

I think that could be somewhat confusing using the same attribute name for different, but somewhat related, features. That's why I like the group attribute, because then there's no chance for confusion about whether it takes a name or id in this context.

Also, <label> already supported, so there's fewer backwards compatibility issues.

--
Lachlan Hunt
http://lachy.id.au/