James Graham wrote:
Lachlan Hunt wrote:

Abbreviation expansions should only be supplied when they help the reader to understand the content, not just because the word happens to be an abbreviation.

I agree, unless using <abbr> with no title is useful to get the correct rendering of abbreviations in non-visual media.

Using <abbr> without a title would be useful if it automatically referred to a previous instance with the title attribute.

e.g.

You could mark up the first occurance as like this

  <abbr title="As Far as I Know">AFAIK</abbr>

Then, later in the document, you could use it without the title attribute

  <abbr>AFAIK</abbr>

and a UA could allow the user to discover the expansion. This idea is already somewhat supported in the current draft, but requires that it references the defining term of a previously marked up <dfn>, rather than just another occurrence of the same abbreviation. IMHO, that part of the spec needs fixing.

http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/#the-dfn
http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/#the-abbr

--
Lachlan Hunt