Nikola Mitic wrote:

fantasai wrote:

Michael wrote (on www-style):

I have a fluid layout so it changes width because of the browser window.
There is the slight problem that some of the images I use might be too wide.
So I use max-width:100% to prevent this from happening.  This works great
when the image does not have a width or height attribute set.  The image
remains in proportion. (...) But if the height attribute is set, it retains
this height and the image goes out of proportion. I think we need some property for this (...)

Set img { height: auto; } and your images should size proportionally.

Is there any way to prevent page from being pushed down by image height when full image get loaded if we didn't define exact image height?

Depends on the situation. You can put a container around the image that has a
fixed height, but it will leave extra space if the max-height: 100% kicks in.

If HTML5 defines the 'width' and 'height' attributes as suggesting the intrinsic
size of the image, browsers could use that information to calculate a tentative
aspect ratio. That would make it possible to size the unloaded-image box even
when one dimension is auto.

~fantasai