In agreement with Jeremy, I too have found the blockquote/q cite
attribute to be nearly as ignored as the longdesc attribute, despite
having conducted talks and written tutorials about how to use the
cite="" attribute (makes me think that the non-visible-effect-URL
attributes on elements should be considered an anti-pattern, evidenced
by the fact that they (cite, longdesc, profile etc.) have all failed
to get any meaningful uptake among web developers).

On slightly a more positive note:

On Thu, Jul 14, 2011 at 12:35, Karl Dubost <ka...@opera.com> wrote:

> Le 14 juil. 2011 à 14:59, Kevin Marks a écrit :
>> If I was writing a detector for this pattern, <a> followed by a colon
>> and  <blockquote> would do it pretty reliably...
>
> yup unfortunately there are also many cases where you have more names in an
> introducing paragraph. It is happening when I'm writing, and the issue is
> then to tie the right person with the right blockquote/q
>
> I like the pattern id/for pattern of forms. We could imagine

> has written plenty of a wonderful thing
> in <cite for="quoteA">Amazing title</cite> very similar to those in

> […]
>
> compare to <cite for="quoteB">Amazing title</cite>

I really like this pattern.

<label for="input-id"> is a known working and in use pattern.

Thus I feel much more confident advocating use of the parallel:

<cite for="quote-id">

With one concern - multiple blockquotes. Thus the for attribute should
be a space separated set of IDREFs. E.g. this pattern (often seen on
blog posts analyzing articles and other blog posts)

<cite for="quote1 quote2">Some quoted title of a work</cite>

Though that example is vulnerable to bad copy/paste errors. It
requires two markup updates (done consistently) for each copy/paste: a
new id on each new blockquote, and having to update the original cite
element for each additional blockquote.

That example redone with today's cite attribute would be:

<cite id="cite1">Some quoted title of a work</cite>

which is then much more copy/paste proof if/when the author adds more
blockquotes from the same source that they're commenting on - fewer
bits of markup (none) to update.

So I don't know. Perhaps <cite for> handles the 80/20 one cite / one
quote case better and that's good enough to add it, and then perhaps
we keep the old cite="" attribute for the one cite / multiple quote
case?

Tantek

--
http://tantek.com/ - I made an HTML5 tutorial! http://tantek.com/html5