> The main thing that seems to be missing from this thread is any commitment
> from any browser vendors to actually support any changes in this space.

It has been my experience that browser vendors, more often than not, require at
least a (proposed) standard before they will consider implementing a requested
feature.

While I personally find the inordinate level of effort and debate that goes
into off-line first functionality frustrating, I would certainly not seek to
stifle debate or censor someone else from having their say.

Background geolocation can work via service workers for fleet-management even
in the complete absence of an instantiated UA and definitely requires the WWW
to function but then I’m all for Web functionality and network connectivity and
IoT and so on.