I can imagine 2 very basic components (assuming jsr-170 is used):
- An editor component
  Features:
   - supporting different client side editors (e.g. FCKeditor and such)
or clear text (e.g. for Textile fans)
   - supporting different models, but at least an implementation of a
jsr-170 detachable model
   - preview?
- A tree component
  Features:
  - icons configurable for different node types
  - shows a part of the jsr-170 tree, with filters to further remove
items from the tree

You will also have to think about what you want to do with images and
other types of binary files (pdf, flash, etc.).
Another common cms hurdle is linking between articles/pages/whatever
text and linking from those text to binary files.

A very important aspect of modern CMSs is the ability to add metadata to
articles. Though there are many, components for categories and/or labels
would be nice. Commenting is perhaps also something to look at.

     Erik.

--
Erik van Oosten