Dear ??,

The problem is because you can not encode Chinese characters in
ISO-8859-1. You must use UTF-8 throughout your application.

 > String newInput = new String(input.getBytes("iso8859-1"), "UTF-8");
first converts the string to ISO8859-1 and thereby replaces all Chinese
characters with a "?".

Please make sure that the HTML pages that Wicket renders are in UTF-8.
This true by default, but to be sure you could do
    getRequestCycleSettings().setResponseRequestEncoding("UTF-8")

Then replace the line above with:
 String newInput = input;

Regards,
     Erik.