Weird, I have added a
            <exclusion>
            <groupId>commons-codec</groupId>
            <artifactId>commons-codec</artifactId>
            </exclusion>
to each of the wicket dependencies in my pom file and it still wants to
download it.

I tried the command you gave. It does not mention commons-codec at all
(except in the exclusions).

For now I will continue under the assumption that it is a maven plugin
upgrade and I will therefore not add commons-codec to my application's
classpath.
I really dislike maven more and more...

Regards,
    Erik.