IMHO: The amount of jargon and legalistic booby traps to navigate now to
become an admin is gargantuan, and there isn't a strong investment in a
development ladder.

And this even though the majority of admin work that needs doing hasn't
changed significantly from 2003-2004.

This is not a strongly held opinion though and I certainly could be wrong
about the day to day work that most of the admins do.