I'm not really sure if Cargo is the right option, but it's the simplest alternative I know of to SMW.

Perhaps categories would suffice, if the important stats can be expressed just as category counts. It sounds like it could get annoying though.

I do feel a bit like we'd be missing a win if, for the query-able data in a site about MediaWikis, we were forced to build a custom extension for doing the querying. It's the sort of thing that lots of wikis want to do! But maybe it's the best way to go.