Daniel,
A few other research projects that have used Wikipedia/Wikidata to generate
"maps" of concepts that are not explicitly spatial and might be relevant to
your thinking. I'm only aware of a live demo for the second one (
Frankenplace <http://frankenplace.com/>) but the papers have good figures
to illustrate:

   - Hecht, Brent, et al. "Explanatory semantic relatedness and explicit
   spatialization for exploratory search." Proceedings of the 35th
   international ACM SIGIR conference on Research and development in
   information retrieval. 2012.

<https://www.brenthecht.com/publications/bhecht_sigir2012_ExpSpatialization_SRplusE.pdf>
   - Adams, Benjamin, Grant McKenzie, and Mark Gahegan. "Frankenplace:
   interactive thematic mapping for ad hoc exploratory search." Proceedings of
   the 24th international conference on world wide web. 2015.
   <http://www2015.thewebconf.org/documents/proceedings/proceedings/p12.pdf>
   - Sen, Shilad, et al. "Toward Universal Spatialization Through
   Wikipedia-Based Semantic Enhancement." ACM Transactions on Interactive
   Intelligent Systems (TiiS) 9.2-3 (2019): 1-29.
   <https://dl.acm.org/doi/fullHtml/10.1145/3213769>

Best,
Isaac

On Mon, Dec 19, 2022 at 5:37 PM Daniel Mietchen via Wikidata <
wikidata@lists.wikimedia.org> wrote:

> Dear Tassos,
>
> thanks for the example - that map is interesting but still arranged in
> terms of geocoordinates, and based on Wikipedia data.
> What I had in mind is a map that positions Wikidata items generically
> (i.e. without the need for geolocation statements via P625) but
> somewhat reliably (for a given query and reasonably stable data) in a
> 2D or 3D space (perhaps even as a function of some additional
> parameters) and then allows the user to zoom around inside this system
> to explore spatial relationships just as they can explore geospatial
> relationships in your gelocated wiki atlases.
> The closest thing to this that I have at hand right now is
> https://galaxy.opensyllabus.org/ , which clusters syllabi by topic and
> allows zooming but is not based on Wikidata.
> The Wikidata Query Service has some visualizations that do part of
> that but these (i) do not provide zooming, (ii) often time out and
> have other problems, e.g. (iii) no reliable position of a given node
> or (iv) little to no meaning in adjacency.
>
> Another thing relevant here are Wikidata maps as per
> https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikidata_map
> with their bright and dark areas and in particular their evolution over
> time
> All of these provide for fertile ground to engage relevant
> communities, and It would be very helpful to have similar
> visualizations (e.g. change as a function of some parameter) for any
> part of Wikidata, including but not limited to geodata.
>
> Best,
>
> Daniel
>

> On Sat, Dec 17, 2022 at 10:57 PM Tassos Noulas <tnou...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hi Daniel,
> >
> > The project described here may be in line with what you are suggesting:
> >
> https://www.theverge.com/2022/7/29/23283701/wikipediate-notable-people-ranking-map-search-scroll-zoom
> >
> > But could I be asking: what use case you had in mind? Why would I want
> to see a bunch of non geo entities on a map and what value would I extract
> from this aside from pure fun? I am not saying that fun is not worth it btw
> :), but one of the challenges we have been having with the tool is
> narrowing down to specific use cases that empower users and hopefully the
> Wikipedia ecosystem (you can imagine users crowdsourcing info through a
> cartographic/mobile platform in the future).
> >
> > The idea of parameterized url has been somewhat developed:
> >
> https://wiki-atlas.org/?wikipage=Stuyvesant_Town%E2%80%93Peter_Cooper_Village&lon=-73.97778153419495&lat=40.731669455258725&lang=en
> >
> > But it is not serving all purposes in its current form and I think
> connecting entities based on QIDs as you suggest is a great idea. In
> addition to linking better the wiki entities with a map, and vice versa, we
> could exploit Wikidata’s querying functionality to allow for way more
> complex filtering approaches to those the tool currently offers (based on
> popularity, categories, keywords).

> [...]

Isaac Johnson (he/him/his) -- Senior Research Scientist -- Wikimedia
Foundation