Jim, sorry about the delay but I have been busy with personal
business.

> Protecting original efforts and years of research is a serious
> question that WE and wiki's, in general, must come to terms with
> before they will truly benefit the communities they serve.

Actually, much as gone on in this area, especially with projects such
as the Open Knowledge Foundation (http://www.okfn.org) and Science
Commons (http://sciencecommons.org) (the latter is part of Creative
Commons). The point of what is called Open Data, is to allow data to
be freely shared between researchers. This especially true with
respect to the sciences where reproducibility is extremely important.
For a good description read the about page in Science Commons (http://
sciencecommons.org/about) and look at the wikipedia article (http://
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_data)

Best regards,