Dear Wikimedia colleagues:

<http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:IdeaLab/Reimagining_WMF_grants/Outcomes>
that identified a gap in support for organizations and groups with annual
plans that are not part of the FDC process
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:APG>, we on the WMF's Community
Resources Team created a new pilot process for Simple Annual Plan Grants
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:APG/Simple>. These grants are for
groups and organizations that need funds for operating and program expenses
up to US$100K (or its equivalent in another currency).

This process has been developed in partnership with a committee of eight
volunteers <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:APG/Simple/Committee>,
who make recommendations about each grant application, which are then
approved by WMF staff. I would like to recognize the outstanding work of
our inaugural committee: Addis Wang, Anders Wennersten, Kiril Simeonovski,
Kirill Lokshin, Ido Ivri, Nataliia Tymkiv, Pete Ekman, and Sydney Poore.
Besides producing four quality recommendations this month (found on the
discussion pages of the four applications
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:APG/Simple/About#applications>),
they've done invaluable work to define how this new funding option will
work, and offered constructive and supportive feedback to the applicants.

I also want to recognize and congratulate our first four grantees:
Wikimedia Czech Republic, Wikimedia Eesti, Wikimedia Espana, and Shared
Knowledge (user group in Macedonia). Each grantee did an outstanding job
engaging during every phase of the grants process, and we are confident
that each is preparing for an amazing year in 2016. Many thanks to all of
the dedicated volunteers and staff at each organization that made these
quality applications happen, including Bojan Jankuloski, Jan Loužek, Kiril
Simeonevski, Kaarel Vaidla, Luis Ulzurrun, Santiago Navarro, Vojtěch Dostál
and the volunteer boards and supportive community members at each of these
organizations.

Finally, thank you to our colleagues Janice Tud, Siko Bouterse, Stephen
LaPorte, and the WMF finance team, for supporting these grantees behind the
scenes. Thanks to Katy Love, Kacie Harold, and the entire Community
Resources Team, past and current Funds Dissemination Committee members,
current and past APG applicants, and particularly Ravishankar
Ayyakkannu, for sharing their ideas and experiences leading up to this
idea. Special thanks also to Tony Souter and Bence Damokos for their
substantial feedback during the early phases of the pilot's development.

Are you interested in learning more about how the new funding option could
work for your group or organization? Please Email me to start a discussion
about your organization's application, and read more about how to apply
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:APG/Simple/Eligibility>.
Applications will be accepted throughout 2016.

Best wishes and congratulations to all our colleagues who received grants
in 2015, or helped to improve the grants process!

Winifred

Helpful links for Simple Annual Plan Grants:
*Apply here: https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:APG/Simple/Eligibility
*About the program: https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:APG/Simple/About
*Committee: https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:APG/Simple/Committee

--