If by old notifications you mean notifications from other wikis from a
long time ago, you can dismiss those by clicking the X next to each
notification on the right-hand side. Once dismissed they shouldn't
come back. There's currently a bug with this though:
https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T121930#2292278

We're also working through some bugs to do with notifications
sometimes not being displayed, and an issue with non-SUL wikis that's
causing notification counts to be wrong. I apologize for the
disruption. The task tracking all the fallout issues from yesterday's
deployment is https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T135239 .