On 4/9/2018 11:14 PM, Leinonen Teemu wrote:
On 10 Apr 2018, at 7.02, Erik Moeller <eloque...@gmail.com> wrote:
Wikimedia projects are social networks, but they are purpose-driven
social networks [1] where participants are more strongly connected
through their overlapping interests than through pre-existing social
connections.
I agree. I however, see that if the movement is interested in to be _the_
ecosystem of free knowledge, a social media where the overlapping interest is
actually the free knowledge itself and not some area of knowledge is not a bad
idea.
I am wary of the idea that we would have interest in being _the_ ecosystem of free knowledge, certainly if as this implies, that's ecosystem of free knowledge in the singular. I believe we want to be a part of such an ecosystem, but hopefully a very diverse ecosystem, as is necessary to its success. We should be cautious not to monopolize it, intentionally or inadvertently. The undesirable byproducts of corporate-driven social media illustrate many of the perils all too well.

--Michael Snow