I don't have technical expertise in this area, but I do think something
chat-like has the most chance of success.

Telegram seems to be the most active platform now among non-technical
users, especially used during conferences.

Perhaps a much better integration with IRC (with a Slack-like interface
tied to SUL) might provide a good path forward, though I imagine it would
require significant  investment.

Thanks,
Pharos