Hi,

On Fri, Sep 11, 2020 at 4:08 AM effe iets anders <effeietsand...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> I would love us to be more gentle, but at the same time it is also
> important to recognize diversity in character, expression and opinion.

Well, precisely?  :)

"To recognize diversity in character, expression and opinion" is crucial.
Recognizing privilege is just as important.

There is abundant evidence about strong and disrespectful language driving
away those who actually would contribute diversity in a conversation. For
one (usually privileged) participant that goes through moderation after
ignoring warnings, how many (usually less or no privileged) disengage and
leave silently to avoid or boycott disrespectful behavior? That is where
the big loss in diversity lies.

One good reason to really care about high standards of respect and civility
is precisely to increase the diversity of our movement. Most of our "open"
discussion channels are not open at all. Full participation in these
channels is in practice quite exclusive. Those who thrive are privileged
persons who can handle an aggressive communication style or even enjoy it.
Wikimedia-l is no exception, and the UCoC thread is a typical example.

More and more contributors are taking action to change this trend, and this
is one of the best things happening right now in our movement.

--
Quim Gil (he/him)
Senior Manager of Community Relations @ Wikimedia Foundation