It looks like what Wikimedia is saying is they gave a (typically) confusing
response to the Italian journalists which they (in good faith) misreported.

Wikimedia communications would benefit from a willingness to answer yes/no
questions with a yes or no, imho.

On Wed, Jan 25, 2023, 7:24 AM Andreas Kolbe <jayen...@gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
> wrote:
>
>> Hi Lane,
>>
>> maybe I'm just reading this differently, but doesn't "we are in the
>> process" typically mean "no, not yet. But we are going towards that new
>> situation"? If you don't feel this answers your question, it might be
>> beneficial to spell out the question a bit more explicitly. Re-reading the
>> statement of Andreas, I mostly see a statement that he is confused and his
>> question is "could someone please clarify this please". In Julia's
>> response, I read a good faith effort (but apparently insufficient for you)
>> to achieve just that: clarification.
>>
>> Best,
>> Lodewijk
>>
>> On Tue, Jan 24, 2023 at 2:40 AM Lane Chance <zinkl...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Fascinating, the WMF are saying they have answered the question on
>>> Meta, yet a simple fact check, by reading the page, shows they have
>>> not answered the obvious simple yes/no needed.
>>>
>>> A vague reply of "We are in the process" must set off red flags for
>>> any logical reader. The huge amount of money under scrutiny is either
>>> controlled by Tides or it isn't. The fact that the WMF has evaded the
>>> yes/no question several times indicates there is a problem here that
>>> they are not prepared to confirm in public, such as using interim
>>> "holders" or incurring significant fees. Though the fast reader might
>>> think the answer was "yes", it does not actually say "yes", nor does
>>> it give any fixed dates that anyone could be held accountable to, like
>>> for example "the funds are controlled by Tides until the end of
>>> February 2023" which would be specific, accountable and verifiable.
>>>
>>> Happy to be confirmed wrong, with *facts* rather than more opinions
>>> and defensive non-answers.
>>>
>>> For some unknown reason, the WMF official reply was not included in
>>> the email, here it is for anyone to fact check where it can't be
>>> edited later on a wiki:
>>> "This question was also raised in a thread on Wikimedia-l. SJ’s
>>> message there summarized the situation very well. The Wikimedia
>>> Endowment has received its 501(c)(3) status from the US Internal
>>> Revenue Service. We are in the process of setting up its financial
>>> systems and transitioning out of Tides. This is in line with the
>>> direction from the 2021 resolution from Wikimedia Foundation Board of
>>> Trustees. We plan further updates in the next few months.The statement
>>> made by the recent broadcast in Italy was unfortunately an incorrect
>>> representation of the answers we sent them; a further clarification
>>> was made on establishment of the Endowment in January also linked from
>>> the show’s page. Considered as a whole, there are lots of inaccuracies
>>> in the broadcast despite engagement with the show by the Foundation
>>> and Wikimedia Italia over a period of six months to ensure the
>>> movement and Wikipedia’s editing model were represented correctly.Best
>>> regards JBrungs (WMF) (talk) 07:11, 24 January 2023 (UTC)"

>>> Lane (for the avoidance of doubt, I have no connection to Wikipedia