Dear Wikimedians,

I hope this email finds you well.

I am excited to share with you the amazing results and statistics of the
2023 Wiki Loves Africa contest. Wiki Loves Africa
<https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Wiki_Loves_Africa_2023> aims to
celebrate the richness, diversity and beauty of Africa by encouraging
participants and contributors to upload their media to Wikimedia Commons
for subsequent use on Wikipedia.

The 2023 iteration of the project, which ran from 1st March to 30th April
with the theme *Climate & Weather*, received an overwhelming response, with
a total
<https://ptools.toolforge.org/uploadersincat.php?category=Images+from+Wiki+Loves+Africa+2023>
of *13,385* submissions from* 785* uploaders representing *53 African
countries
<https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Images_from_Wiki_Loves_Africa_2023>*.
It's been truly inspiring to witness the continental response to the
concept of climate and weather as it concerns Africa through this
initiative.

Today, we are excited to announce the *winning media entries
<https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Wiki_Loves_Africa_2023/Winners>*,
which were selected by our esteemed panel of judges. Also, this year, we
introduced a Video jury (first ever in the Wikimedia space) to help us
select the winning uploads for the various video categories.

*The International prizes:*

*Photography:*
*1st prize:* US$2000 -  Auyo village flood by Sani Maikatanga
<https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Auyo_village_flood_06.jpg>
 (Nigeria)
*2nd prize:* US$1500 - Stormy day in somalia by Mohamed Nasr
<https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Stormy_day_in_somalia.jpg>
 (Somalia)
*3rd prize:* US$1000 -  Kids and the river by Mohammed Osman
<https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Kids_and_the_river.jpg> (Sudan)

*Media (Video, Audio, Graphics, Photo Essays):*
*Best audio :* US$ 750 - Change Immersion by Abdullahi Tanimu Abubakar
<https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Change-immersion.ogg> (Nigeria)
*Best video prize :* US$ 1,000 - GOOD YESTERDAYS WIKI LOVES AFRICA 2023 by
Green Wilfred Somoni
<https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:GOOD_YESTERDAYS_WIKI_LOVES_AFRICA_2023_By_Green_Wilfred_Somoni.webm>
 (Nigeria)
*Africa Environment Video Prize* (Best video representation of the impact
of climate change) : US$ 2,000 - Last Stand by Alamin Mohammed
<https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Last_Stand.webm>
*Africa Environment Special Collection Prize:* Collection of 13 videos  by
Wiki Loves Africa Fan Club Cote d'Ivoire
<https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Wiki_Loves_Africa_2023_C%C3%B4te_d%27Ivoire_Fan_Club>

*Useful links:*

Click to see best photos from the contest
<https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Best_images_from_Wiki_Loves_Africa_2023>
.

Click to view Quality photos from the contest
<https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Quality_images_from_Wiki_Loves_Africa_2023>
.

Click to see the Top 20 photo considerations from the contest.
<https://youtu.be/njrJyQwLeBI?feature=shared>

Click to view the National winners from several local contests.
<https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Wiki_Loves_Africa_2023/National_winners>

On a final note, we would like to acknowledge the support of all our
partners, jury, organizers and volunteers whose tireless efforts,
assistance and contributions made this year's contest a success. We are
immensely grateful for your dedication and passion to supporting Wiki Loves
Africa. We look forward to your continued participation in future endeavors.

If you have any questions or would like further information, please do not
hesitate to reach out via wil...@wikiinafrica.org. Thank you once again for
your interest and support.

Warm regards,

*Wilson*

On behalf of the International team Wiki Loves Africa