Hi all,

what I was saying was that instead of seeing this as an issue of Afrikaans
being discriminated against, it should be seen as careless
communication/ignorance on the part of Moleskine. We would all gladly
support them if they announced that their mission was to boost marginalised
languages (those with small wikis/few contributors). However,they expressed
it by saying they want to support indigenous languages, with an assumption
that these two categories overlap.

However Afrikaans is an exception, since it isn't marginalised. They failed
to take that fact into consideration, and hence they raised false
expectations. Then, adding insult to injury, they tried to explain by
saying Afrikaans is not indigenous, rather than that it's not marginalised.
So we need to advise them to be more careful.

On a personal note, let me remind board members that we have previously
discussed the issue of "Afrikaaps" being the marginalised side of
Afrikaans. After I shared a radio interview with you, I was mandated to
contact the panelists, which I did, but without them taking up the offer of
a workshop. More recently UWC has published the first dictionary of
Afrikaaps, so perhaps someone there might be interested in dialogue.

Regards,

Michael Graaf, M.Phil (UCT)

Researcher, Editor &
Community Informatics Practitioner