As far as I know we have these options:
1. Provide the text in the content language of the wiki instead of in the
user language (so a French user will get English interface on English
Wikipedia), but save a few bytes by sending a single translation to the
user.
2. Provide the text in the user language, but use more bytes to keep all
translations in the same JS
3. Provide the text in the user language, but make an extra HTTP request to
get it
I opted for 2, which is the approach used on Wikidata gadgets. See e.g.:
https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/MediaWiki:Gadget-autoEdit.js

The ideal solution would be what will be provided by
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Gadgets_2.0
but this is not available yet.

Helder