Hi,

Le mercredi 04 août 2010 à 15:39 -0700, Neil Kandalgaonkar a écrit :
> On 8/4/10 3:14 PM, Aryeh Gregor wrote:
> > On Wed, Aug 4, 2010 at 6:10 PM, Neil Kandalgaonkar<ne...@wikimedia.org>
> > wrote:
> >> On a more serious note: when it comes to Flash on Wikimedia projects,
> >> the WMF board has said no.
> >
> > Has it?  Where?  I think everyone is grudgingly okay for Flash as a
> > fallback for browsers that don't support standards-based markup . . .
> > but not if it's the only way to get the functionality.
>
> I looked for some sort of meeting minutes before posting, but couldn't
> find them. Maybe I don't know where or how to look.

I don't think there is an official Board resolution about the use of
proprietary technologies on Wikimedia projects. However, Brion and Erik
have been known to have a pretty strong opinion on that, and I believe
Danese and a large part of the WMF tech staff are in the same place.

A few relevant links for a historical perspective:

* "We should permit Flash video playback" thread on foundation-l in 2007
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.org.wikimedia.commons/2220/

* "Software policy draft" thread on foundation-l in 2007
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.org.wikimedia.foundation/19547/

* The actual draft:
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Draft_Statement_of_Principles_Regarding_Software_Use

--