As the person who essentially built the September 11 wiki, I can say that
permanently killing the project on the tenth anniversary of the attacks
would be a telling testament to both the lost opportunities of Wikipedia
itself and of human civilization, which did seem for a fleeting moment to
have a chance at a greater unity, dashed by either realpolitick or a mad
president, depending on how you view the world. Instead, the wars in
Afghanistan and Iraq trundle on, outlasting an effort of individual people
to celebrate the wonder and beauty that are the collective lives of an
essentially random and unremarkable collection of people, a reminder that
encyclopedias of the past, that focus only on the glories of the great,
don't truly tell the story of the world.

So it would be nice to figure out how to preserve the collection.

imho.

--tc