On Thu, Dec 6, 2012 at 10:07 AM, Quim Gil <q...@wikimedia.org> wrote:
> Hi, thanks to the metrics reports now we know that the top bug fixers in
> November were Nobody (228) and Wikidata bugs (83)... followed by Michael
> Dale (28), Roan Kattouw (23), etc.
>
> http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Community_metrics/November_2012#People

Those statistics don't actually measure who fixes bugs, they measure
who the fixed bugs were assigned to. Those aren't necessarily the same
person (although I imagine this is rare), but the larger issue is
that, as you say, most bugs have no human assignee. Another statistic
that is used in the BZ reports sent to this list is who closed the bug
(i.e. changed its status to RESOLVED FIXED), but this is also
suboptimal. For instance, in the VisualEditor team, James somewhat
frequently cleans up after developers who fix a bug but forget to
close it, or even mention the bug in the commit summary, so he's
probably the top bug "fixer" in VE by that metric, even though most of
that is just him taking paperwork off our hands. Another problem is
that bugs can bounce between REOPENED and FIXED multiple times, and
can be set to FIXED by different people each time.

So both metrics are noisy, although I imagine the latter would not
have a 50% signal-to-noise ratio like the former. Getting more
accuracy would be complicated: you'd probably have to look for Gerrit
links on the bug and identify their authors, or something like that.

Not saying the metric you used is wrong (it has advantages and
disadvantages), but I do think it's a bit misleadingly labeled.

Roan