On Tue, Dec 3, 2013 at 12:30 AM, Ori Livneh <o...@wikimedia.org> wrote:
> We'll gradually enable module storage on all Wikimedia wikis over the
> course of the next week or two.
Ori deployed this to the live site earlier today :) . For reference,
the original post about module storage is archived at [1].

I tweeted an impressive graph from Ganglia [2] that Ori shared on IRC
a little while after the deployment, and consequently my phone is now
blowing up as lots of people are retweeting it and replying to it.
Turns out lots of people are interested in Wikipedia :)

However, while the graph was impressive, there were some caveats:
* It was of internal traffic into the Apache backends serving bits,
not the Varnish caches
* The Varnish traffic (that actually get all the traffic) dropped
suddenly but not very sharply, and the drop was insignificant compared
to time-of-day and day-of-week variance
* The drop occurred because ResourceLoaderLanguageDataModule had a bug
in its mtime computation, causing it to recache all the time; module
storage greatly dampened the impact of that bug. The bug was
identified later that day and fixed by Krinkle [3], in the commit with
probably the highest commit-message-to-diff ratio of all time.

Although it wasn't "really" responsible for the huge drop we saw in
the graphs, make no mistake, this is awesome. Thanks Ori, for working
on this and putting up with my code review slowness and nitpicking :)

One interesting response I got on Twitter [4] said we should avoid
localStorage in favor of "indexedDB and modern async APIs". I suppose
we could look into that :)

Roan

[1] http://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikitech-l/2013-November/072839.html
[2] https://twitter.com/catrope/status/408018210529615872