On Mon, May 19, 2014 at 4:09 PM, Dan Garry <dga...@wikimedia.org> wrote:
>    1. When editing via the API, allows the user to choose whether or not to
>    flag an edit as a bot edit using the bot parameter.
I'm responsible for this part of the mess. I don't remember why it was
done this way though. I think the people that I took over the API edit
code from had put this feature in and I kept it.

What I think was going on is that no one could be bothered to figure
out how to represent "I am a human editing using a bot account and I'd
like this edit to not be bot-flagged" in the UI, so it wasn't done.
But in the API it was trivial (&bot=1), so it was done.

That's just my recollection of it and it's probably flawed, this was
6-7 years ago.

Roan