Yes, it takes 5 minutes for just about everything to update in
ResourceLoader. This is also true for ResourceLoaderSiteStylesModule: when
you save an edit to e.g. MediaWiki:Common.css, you don't immediately see
the styles change. However, previewing edits to MediaWiki:Common.css does
work, because of some special handling.

When previewing, EditPage sets a content override (using
OutputPage::addContentOverride()) for the page being previewed, with the
text that's in the edit box. This content override is then propagated to
the ResourceLoaderContext object by OutputPage::getRlClientContext().
ResourceLoaderWikiModule checks these content overrides before accessing
wiki pages (which is how it gets the content from the edit box instead of
the content that's on the wiki page), and it also causes
shouldEmbedModule() to return true if there's a content override that
applies to it (which is how it avoids requesting the module from load.php
and instead embeds it as an inline <script>/<style> tag). The
TemplateSandbox extension also uses this, see
https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/c/mediawiki/extensions/TemplateSandbox/+/340769
.

You may be able to do something similar to allow users to preview changes
to the theme variables: use content overrides (or some other mechanism) to
get the previewed values to your module, then return true from
shouldEmbedModule() when you detect that a preview is happening.