Hello Mitar! I'm glad you are finding the Wikimedia Enterprise dumps useful.

For your tar.gz question, this is the format that the Wikimedia Enterprise
dataset consumers prefer, from what I understand. But I would suggest that
if you are interested in other formats, you might open a task on
phabricator with a feature request, and add  the Wikimedia Enterprise
project tag ( https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/project/view/4929/ ).

As to the API, I'm only familiar with the endpoints for bulk download, so
you'll want to ask the Wikimedia Enterprise folks, or have a look at their
API documentation here:
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Enterprise/Documentation

Ariel