On 7/25/2011 3:02 PM, Travis Schick wrote:
> The problem as I understand it - is that without having a network connection
> - you are
> unable to verify the server presenting the certificate to you - you need to
> trust it
> first - and for win7/macosx the default is to prompt the user.

If the certificate issuer is a recognized authority, *and* it meets the
esoteric Windows
required criteria (extendedKeyUsage=1.3.6.1.5.5.7.3.1 or somewhere
thereabouts), there
is no need for network validation of the CA (unless the CRL is mandatory?).  It
is
getting the "special certificate criteria" correct that the typical 3rd-party
SSL
certificate is missing (either in the request, signing, or import process).

Otherwise there is some setup required on the client side for Windows (<7), at a
minimum, not to use the windows credentials as username/password (unless you're
really
joined to the domain you're authenticating)

Jeff