On 11/10/2011 8:24 PM, Harry Rauch wrote:
We have in our internet docs for students that rogue wireless devices that interferes with the dorm's internet usage will be requested to shutdown or the student will lose internet rights for 30 days. Students seem to be more than willing to shut off their wireless router after they are made aware of the problem; they honestly don't have a clue about the effects of their personal wireless and the school's.

We have similar policies. If we detect a rogue (shows up in our NAC as a NATed client), we quarantine the MAC address of the router. If they connect to their rogue wireless, they get a captive portal telling them to disconnect it! If they then connect directly, they are fine again. Other than us having to mark the MACs, it is self-remediating (and if the MAC returns, it gets the same result, regardless of the jack/location).

Jeff