* Fred Goldstein <fgoldst...@ionary.com> wrote:
> On 2/13/2013 5:19 AM, Bret Clark wrote:
> > Since their's no such thing as a 150Mbps LAN/WAN ports, you need to get
> > one with gigabit ports. The Mikrotik RB751G-2HnD...has 5 Gig ports and
> > any port can be configured for WAN and/or LAN setups. Includes 2.4GHz
> > 30dBi/1000mW 802.11b/g/n wireless is you need it.  SRP is $80.
>
> Well if you want to get picky there are 150 Mbps (STS-3) ports, but
> they're pretty obscure nowadays.  I think Cisco supports them for ATM,
> though it may be historical, not current product.  I'm curious what the
> application is.  Ancient Cisco stuff like that does show up on eBay at
> pretty low prices, but anything new and under $1k or so will probably
> only have Ethernet ports.

Well, if you want to get picky, those would actually be (if memory
serves) 155.52 Mbps and, of course, it's only called STS-3 (STS-3c,
technically) if it's an electrical carrier (an optical carrier being
referred to as OC-3c)...  but I'm sure you know all this, Fred.

While I'd certainly agree that new SONET deployments likely are few and
bar between, there's still a huge installed base out there (indeed, one
of our upstreams network is mostly SONET).

I think it's safe to say, though, that we all know what Bret meant and
that these "well, *technically*, ..." posts (including this one) add
nothing of value to the conversation.

--
Jeremy L. Gaddis           e: jer...@as54225.net
Network Engineer           m: +1.812.865.0581