I am working on an issue that we are seeing when our WiX project creates
shortcuts to target files that require assemblies to be already installed
onto the machine.

Okay here is the issue. We run our install, all shortcuts are created and
the install completes without issues. The app and all shortcuts work and
therefore everything looks okay, but when we open up the Event Viewer it
will show side by side assembly errors on these apps.

We thought that something was triggering the apps during install, but again
we see no errors during the install. But in event viewer there were always 2
sxs errors for each app that had a shortcut created. So we checked the
install and under the Shortcut Id entries we were only referencing IconIndex
and Target .exe. So we figured that during install it has to extract the
shortcut from the .exe and therefore that is what caused the issue.

So we switched to use Icon="file.ico", where we just reference a .ico file.
We ran the install again and this time instead of 2 sxs errors for each app
there is only one. So just to verify we turned off the shortcuts and after
running the install there are NO sxs errors.

So has anyone ran into this before and if so how do we fix it. It is not a
high bug as the app installs and runs and it is only in Event Viewer that
you see these, but in the case where our install or app fail we normally ask
for Install and Event Viewer logs and having these extra sxs errors just
makes it more confusing as to what the actual errors are.

So if anyone knows how to fix this or other methods to avoid these issues
that would be great.

Thanks.