Subject:        Creating registry for an application installed outside the
current directory structure in WIX file
Date:   Wed, 15 Jan 2014 12:44:55 +0530
From:   Suvrajyoti Panda <suvrajyo...@contata.co.in>
To:     General discussion about the WiX toolset.
<wix-users@lists.sourceforge.net>

Hi All,

I am creating an wix installer. I want to create a registry entry whose
path is not under the directory structure created in the WIX file. Below
is what i intend to do:

<Directory Id='TARGETDIR' Name='SourceDir'>
       <Directory Id='Scheduler' Name="Scheduler">
        <Directory Id='PLTLPLOGAMERA' Name="Pipeline Scheduler Gamera">

             <Component Id="x86RegEntGameraSimulatorPath"
Guid="{C769AC98-A3D0-4CB4-939F-F396B49D4E5F}" Win64="no">
              <RegistryValue Id="x86GameraSimulatorPathRegValue"
Root="HKLM" Key="SOFTWARE\[Manufacturer]"
Name="$(var.standalonesimulatorRegName)"
*Value="D:\Project\ESI\PFW\trunk\StandaloneSimulator\bin" *Type="string" />
            </Component>
            <Component Id="x64RegEntGameraSimulatorPath"
Guid="{0ED0A7FC-DCB1-4C36-A39B-56F9F97A3A2C}" Win64="yes">
              <RegistryValue Id="x64GameraSimulatorPathRegValue"
Root="HKLM" Key="SOFTWARE\[Manufacturer]"
Name="$(var.standalonesimulatorRegName)"
Value="*D:\Project\ESI\PFW\trunk\StandaloneSimulator\bin*" Type="string" />
            </Component>
        </Directory>
       </Directory>
     </Directory>

The *Value *in the above keys is the path where an application
"standalonesimulator.exe" is installed.Please suggest if there is anyway
that i do not have to hardcode this path. I know i can use an include
file and fetch this path, but again that path will be harcoded in the
include file anyways.

Regards,
SuvraJyoti